Today I’m talking to Jonas Blue, a major recording artist in the UK. Jonas is known for a tropical house cover of Tracy Chapman’s Fast Car and his single Perfect Strangers, which hit double platinum in Australia. He started pursuing music at a very young age and has never looked back.
Jonas and I talked about his story and background, how he got started in the music industry, what his creative process is like, and how he goes with the flow. He also told me how he knows a song is going to be good, and why he sticks to his guns.
If you’re new to Nion Radio and want to join a community of creatives, join the Nion Life group on Facebook. You can connect with other artists and asks questions and join conversations for answers and inspiration. I’ll see you there.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- How Jonas got into music and became a DJ [3:40]
- When Jonas started making money as a musician [8:20]
- What changed when he started working at a record shop [10:20]
- Who influenced Jonas the most growing up [12:40]
- Why it’s still about the music [15:50]
- How long it took Jonas to become proficient in music making [17:05]
- How Jonas starts making a song [18:25]
- The value of structure in creativity [20:30]
- Where the inspiration for Fast Car came from [22:30]
- How he found the vocalist for Fast Car [27:25]
- The inspiration behind his song Perfect Strangers [29:50]
- Why he transitioned to Jonas Blue [34:20]
- The challenges that come with his career as an artist [37:10]
- Check out Club 18-30 in Ibiza
- Try Logic Pro X, the production software that Jonas uses
- Listen to Jonas’ music on SoundCloud
- Watch the Perfect Strangers music video