Eric Ray Davidson
I’ve been thinking lately about creative momentum, and how important it is. It’s something I talked about with this week’s guest, Eric Ray Davidson. He’s a brilliant photographer who has been showing up more and more in the last few years, and he’s photographing hugely talented people. He’s constantly shooting for GQ, Cosmopolitan, Vanity Fair, Esquire, and more.
Listen in to hear how Eric got his start in photography, the benefits of assisting on sets, what it’s like shooting celebrities, and – for the gear heads – what Eric likes to shoot on.
And don’t forget to join the Nion Life community to connect with other creatives, share your inspirations, and be inspired by others.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- How Eric got into photography [3:40]
- What it’s like going to art school [6:15]
- Why becoming a successful artist is a patience game [10:15]
- The value of assisting [12:30]
- What happens in the editorial world [15:00]
- Eric’s approach to collaboration [17:15]
- How to get talent and other artists to trust you [25:05]
- Where Eric gets inspiration for his shoots [26:20]
- The biggest challenge in his career [33:00]
- What makes an iconic image [35:10]
- How speed can help with creativity [36:15]
- How Eric stays in the right headspace [42:30]
- Why Eric creates some chaos on set [49:40]
- How to create work/life balance [51:30]
- Why you have to take jobs that you care about [54:10]
- What are Eric’s cameras of choice [59:15]
- Music Credit: U Ready by TIEDIE & Robert Taylor